Friday, June 1, 2012

Majority of Students are Bad Researchers

Sarah Kessler on Mashable.com recently posted this article on students' research habits according to popular bibliography site easybib.com.  After reading the research papers I received in my government class (which I am no longer teaching next year), I can confirm that the majority of students follow this trend.


How can we correct this as social studies teachers?  I assign research papers in my US History class and I am planning to in my new Psychology course.  In the rubric, I state that sources must only come from reputable sources.  BUT...if the student thinks that some of these sites are reputable, then this is a problem.  How do we teach them otherwise during their last two years of high school?  In my opinion, it needs to start in the last few years of primary schooling.


The infographic from the article is below:



No comments:

Post a Comment