Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Wordpress vs. Blogger vs. EduBlogs

As evidenced by my lack of a library of posts, I recently decided to begin a blog about education.  Currently, I am planning on implementing this task as a goal for my school next year.  I feel it will force allow me to stay current on trends in education, read/comment on other blogs about US History and Psychology, and be reflective on my own experiences in the classroom.  BUT...there are so many blog sites out there.  Which one to choose?


Steven Anderson (one of my favorite blog reads and Twitter follows) recently posted an entire article about it on his blog, which I found very helpful and motivational.  His first point of note confused me to no end, however.  I wanted to go with one of the big boys, but which would I choose, Blogger or Wordpress?  Plus, a Twitter follower told me he had recently started blogging on EduBlogs.


I decided to set up a blog on both of them and see which one I liked.  Here is what I found:


Blogger   
  • Pros
    • VERY simple to use (owned by Google)
    • Already use Google a lot, so this fits in seamlessly
    • WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interface - no coding required.
    • Completely free with the ability to monetize through Google AdSense
  • Cons
    • No official iPad application (but there is one for iPhone?)

Wordpress
  • Pros
    • New interface is very user friendly.
    • iPad app is very useful
    • Opensourced (if you're a techie and can use that stuff)
    • Automatically link to social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc) to write links to your newest post
  • Cons
    • HTML code is intimidating
    • Basic service is free, but it costs $$$ if you want to upgrade (themes, no ads, etc. all will cost you)

EduBlogs
  • Pros
    • School friendly (could be used with students)
    • Cool iPad app similar in design to Wordpress 
    • Uses WordPress engine to run its blog.
  • Cons
    • Free iPad app won't let you post unless you are an EduBlog Pro user, which costs $$$
Even though Blogger does not have an "official" iPad app, I felt strongly enough to start my blog on that site.  But now, how does one use Blogger on their iPad?

Blogsy (available in the App Store for $4.99).  Time and time again, this is considered the best app for blogging on the iPad.  It has cross-platform capabilities, so even if you decide to go with another site to host your blog, chances are Blogsy will support it.

So there you go!  Now that I have settled on a decent space to write a blog, be on the lookout for more and more posts!

18 comments:

  1. Blogging on all platforms is a tough job, but very beneficial. But, if I were to choose from all CMS platforms, then I’d absolutely choose Wordpress (self-hosted) without hesitations. This is because it will help my business grow severely. All I need to do is make the website consistent and SEO optimized at its best. I never tried using Edublogs, but someday I will. Right now, I’m all hooked up with WP for there’s a lot of optimization for all of my websites, since Google Panda changed its algorithms.
    Darryl Tay

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative post, you have explained very well.
    This site made an incredible showing by overhauling the suitable data.
    Web Hosting India | Domain Name Registration India | cheap dedicated hosting India | cheap dedicated server India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty article! I found some useful information in your blog, it was awesome to read, thanks for sharing this great content to my vision, keep sharing...
    Wordpress Development Perth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Call Wordpress Phone Number 888-581-0004, Email, Chat Contact information. WordPress Support, Help, Errors, Migration,Hosting, WooCommerce. Call Now.
    wordpress contact us phone number

    ReplyDelete
  6. WordPress is one of the simplest and most powerful content management system that comes with wide range of features to make your experience appealing and pleasing. It supports a worldwide community to assist you 24*7. Huge variety of plugin are available to add-on features on your site. wordpress development company in bangalore

    ReplyDelete

  7. Hello,

    we provide affordable and result-oriented SEO services, please give a chance to serve you.


    Thanks
    Admin: E07.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment?s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.
    Online shopping in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Webcare360 DMCA IGNORE HOSTING ANONMOUS,SECURE & DMCA IGNORE OFFSHORE WEBHOSTING

    ReplyDelete